Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope And Cynicism


I was greatly moved by Obama's inaugural speech. I think most Americans feel hopeful that meaningful change will come. I was also very affected, as always, watching and listening to the "I Have a Dream" footage of Martin Luther King over the weekend and in seeing his sacrifices come to rest, in part, with this election. But a big part of me worries/suspects/frets that Obama is also just another politician, and that our culture and economy demand so much compromise and phoniness and deceit from anyone who wants to achieve high office that it is only a matter of time before we find out that Obama is, at heart, just a self-promoting dealmaker, albeit some noble and grandiose goals. I hope not, but reading about history suggests otherwise. The other interesting phenonemena is that my kids are very worried about Obama being assassinated, which is disturbing and saddening on so many levels.

1 comment:

  1. You Are in touch with the Truth (of the matter).
    Thanks for your clear communication.

    ReplyDelete