Monday, January 26, 2009

Swimming Toward The Horizon

How are you supposed to get any work done when everytime you check the news the Dow Jones is dropping and another company is announcing layoffs? You can try and take the long view and think about what is was like to live in France or England during World War II, but that doesn't really make you feel any better. And you can stop watching the news and reading the newspapers, but that's not really possible when you work in a media job, as I do. So every day becomes a marathon of anxiety management. It's like the summer of 1975, when Jaws came out; and when we went in the ocean and started freaking ourselves out about what was out there, we just got out of the water and ate ice cream. But now we can't--we have to keep swimming. The only thing that makes me feel better is that I'm healthy. Maybe I shouldn't write that down. It's like leaving my hand in the water and dozing off....

No comments:

Post a Comment